Wednesday 11 August 2021

#Diatia 6: You’ve got to move

I’m writing this as I wrote the list, but flexibility should have gone first, because it is absolutely essential!  It’s of fundamental importance to develop flexibility / mobility, and it is something we rarely think about.  When we don’t have it, it’s a big problem, for sport, strenuous physical activity, and in every aspect of life.  When we don’t have it, it makes all our movements harder, and then forces us to move in ways that are unnecessary, or problematic, or potentially damaging.  I’m writing this early in the morning, and if I tried to touch my toes I wouldn’t be able to.  Okay, I just did the obvious thing and tried, I got half way down my shin.  However, I’ve a stretching routine for my lower back and legs, one I’ve used a lot over the last few years, once I’ve done these I can touch my toes!  So if someone asked, “can you touch your toes?”  I’d have to give a “yes, but...” answer!  Flexibility is hugely important in a subconscious way, we won’t try to do what we believe we can’t.  Therefore good levels of flexibility, strength and cardiovascular stamina open doors, while their absence closes them.

No comments:

Post a Comment