Wednesday 4 August 2021

#Diatia 2: Cardio

 If you want to be fit, you need to do a number of basic things, they aren’t easy, but they are simple.  They are: cardio, resistance, mobility, and diet.  Cardio, or cardiovascular, is to do with the heart, in fact cardio comes from the Greek word meaning heart.  Cardiovascular training is getting your heart rate up to a sensible level, and then keeping it there for a period of time.  Being older, and potentially slightly more sensible, I think (for me) walking is much better than running.  Firstly, I find the impact from running very hard on my lower body joints, ankles, knees, and hips, remember I’m old.  But there is another reason, and an even more sensible one, I can walk much further, and much more often, than I can run, and that’s without hurting myself!  We happen to have a rather old running machine, so when I’m using it, I set it to the steepest incline, I start slowly to warm up, then build speed, and keep going for 30-40 minutes, which puts me in the cardio zone for most of the time.  Having the running machine at home makes this form of exercise much more accessible.  For all the people who waste a fortune on unused gym memberships, they’d be much better spending the money on a static bike, or running machine, or elliptical trainer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment